After a considerable time of absence from this page (it looks like our last post is from August 2016 – Sorry!), we’re back in office.
A lot has happened and this page needs a serious overhaul. So bear with us for a little longer.
Here are just the most important highlights that will be incorporated into this site as soon as possible:
– SatnaMusic’s 2017 CD release ‘Sid Hille Camerata – Farbformen’ contained two of Sid’s string quartets and a string quintet (with Sid playing the piano). The CD got nominated for ‘Best recording of the year 2017’ on the YLE – National Broadcasting Company, and won the public vote.
– In April 2018 we released something completely different: Sid’s new trio by the name of F# released a CD of completely improvised music – nothing composed, everything happened spontaneously during one day in the studio.
The amazing thing is that this didn’t turn out to be total chaos. Rather the opposite: the three composers in the band (bassist Jori Huhtala and drummer Markus Ketola additional to Sid) are composing also when improvising. Closely listening to each other, throwing in ideas, responding to others, resulted in a thrilling, sometimes meditative, sometimes anarchistic collection of moods that spellbinds the listener and makes him/her beg for more (at least, that’s what it did to us). The whole thing is called ‘The Wannsee Punk’ (SatnaMusic CD 181).
– Sid’s concerto for organ and wind orchestra ‘Crux’ had its first performance on August 28th. Organ virtuoso Susanne Kujala who had also commissioned the composition was the soloist and renowned conductor Ville Matvejeff conducting the Kaartin soittokunta, Finland’s top symphonic wind orchestra.
– In the meantime F# has been very active. A recent tour in September 2018 took them to Estonia again where they recorded their second album, which is to be released in spring 2019. During that three concert tour each night a different soloist joined the band guaranteeing that every night is completely fresh and unprepared. In Helsinki the band performed at the Koko Jazz Club with guitarist Jarmo Saari, in Tallinn with the two singers Ivi Rausi and Laura Põldvere, and in Viljandi with singer Liina Saar who had already visited them during the ‘Wannsee’ recording session the previous year and contributed to three of the songs on the album.
– Next up is a three concert tour in November with Austrian multi-instrumentalist Herbert Könighofer in Finland and in March 2019 F# will be joined by Italian saxophonist Enzo Favata.
– SatnMusic’s most recent sheet music release is a collection of miniatures for organ Sid had composed in early 2017 on a commission from the West Helsinki Music School.